Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, January 4, 2013

5 Reasons To Go Vegan


By @pedrosalma at http://gopantone.com/tag/go-vegan/
By @pedrosalma at http://gopantone.com/tag/go-vegan/

As if I haven't given you enough inspiration and motivation to go vegan already (hee hee!), here are my 5 top reasons to give up animals for a plant based diet.

1.  You will lose weight.
Plant-based foods are naturally low in fat...kinda hard to be or stay overweight on a vegan diet.    A fat gram has 9 calories.  When you avoid fats like those in meat and cheese, you also avoid calories.  I lost 6 pounds in my first week as a vegan...I call it the cheese weight I lost!  And then there is fiber, only found in plant-based foods which is kind of like magic (if you have done Weight Watchers, you know what I am talking about!).  Fiber fills us up quickly so we eat less and think we are full.  It also helps keep us "regular" which is essential in cleaning out our system (and excess calories).  All of these weight loss benefits also lower your risks for cancer, heart disease and diabetes.  Research has shown that some people have even reversed diseases that have already been diagnosed.

2. You will have more energy: 
I swear it's true.  I call it my vegan super powers.  Eating plant based food and whole grains fuels your body in a different way than meat and makes you feel lighter, cleaner and more energized.  Start the day with a green juice and watch out world - here you come!  

3. You will be helping the planet:
If everyone went vegetarian for just one day, the U.S. would prevent:
- Greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 1.2 million tons of carbon dioxide (the same amount produced by all of France in a single day)
- 3 million tons of soil erosion and $70 million in resulting economic damages
- Almost 7 tons of ammonia emissions, a major air pollutant

...and the U.S. would save

- 100 billion gallons of water (enough to supply all of the homes in New England for almost 4 months)
- 1.5 billion pounds of crops otherwise fed to livestock (enough to feed the state of New Mexico for more than a year)
- 70 million gallons of gas (enough to fuel all of the cars of Canada and Mexico combined with plenty to spare)
- 3 million acres of land (an area twice the size of Delaware)
- 33 tons of antibiotics

Source: The Veganist by Kathy Freston

4. Your skin will glow: If I had a penny for every person who tells me how great my skin looks, I'd be rich by now.  I 100% credit it to my vegan diet and the vegan products I put on my skin.  

5. You will save animals
The vast majority (over 95%) of animals are raised in factory farms.  Typical conditions in these farms include caging the animals where they are cramped and unable to move around, injecting them with drugs to grow larger (unnatural for their arms and legs, hearts and lungs, causing malformed limbs and heart or lung failure).  There is information abound about the mistreatment of animals and the warriors in animal sanctuaries and undercover groups that work valiantly and tirelessly to save these animals and get legislation passed to stop the suffering.  And remember, you are what you eat.  If these animals are in pain and suffering, that energy (not to mention the disease, infection and drugs in their systems) are being passed into your food.

What do you think?  Are you sold yet?  If you are thinking of taking the vegan challenge, please let me know in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment