Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, January 25, 2013

My Favorite Vegan Books for Kids

As I writer, I always turn to books to help me explain topics, concepts and ideas to my kids.  Books help kids relate in a way that a discussion might not be as effective, and good books do it in a fun, entertaining way.  Most importantly, they help set us up to talk about a specific topic or an issue that a child is going through.

As someone writing a vegan children's book, I have done a lot of research to find books on the subject. Below are my top 3 favorites.  I also just discovered the site VegBooks.org.  This is a great site that reviews books and movies that support kids living vegan and vegetarian lifestyles.

Herb, The Vegetarian Dragon

This cute story about a dragon who loves veggies and tends to his own garden, instead of pillaging the kingdom like the other dragons, is a great story about being different and standing behind our choices.









Vunce Upon a Time

I love this book about a vegetarian vampire who loves candy!










That's Why We Don't Eat Animals

I like this book for how it humanizes animals and makes one think about their feelings and emotions.  It's not so much an entertaining story, as it is a non fiction depiction of what animals goes through for us to eat them (in a kid friendly, non violent way!).




Alicia Silverstone recently posted a great list as well on her site, The Kind Life.  Happy reading - and if you have a great book to share, please do in the comments section below!



No comments:

Post a Comment