Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Vegan Fast Food



Vegan fast food seems like an oxymoron to me.  In order to be a healthy vegan, I would argue that your food must be heavy on the plant based, which means fresh and made to order (if it's going to be delicious, that is!)  I love to cook and make the majority of my family's meals during the week, but there are times when I need something quick and I don't necessarily have time to make it right then.  For most people, fast food is the answer.  Fortunately, being vegan keeps me out of the drive thru lanes, but what's a veeg to do when she needs a quick grab on the go?

Below are a few of my favorite places for "fast food" and what I usually order at them.

Veggie Grill: I order the All Hail Kale Salad every time I go.  Seriously, I have no idea what anything else on the menu tastes like.  I can call in my order and have it ready to be picked up by the time I get there!  I also occasionally order their sweet potato fries (the best ones in town, in my opinion!).

Chipotle: I keep it simple and get a regular burrito - black beans and rice with veggies, salsas and guac.  Recently, I have been changing it up and making it a salad instead of a burrito.  Delish!

Subway: This is my family's favorite "fast food" restaurant.  I order the Veggie Delight with no cheese and all the veggies, except onions and jalapeƱos!  I always ask for avocado and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar, and salt and pepper.

Panera: This is one of my favorite places for their black bean soup.  I also am a big fan of their Greek salad and vegetarian sandwich.  But, it's the soup that I go back again and again for...and that freshly baked bread.

Do you have a favorite "fast food" joint that is vegan friendly.  I'd love to hear about it.  Let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment