Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Dad's Awesome Red Cabbage Recipe (aka "Roberto's Red Righteous Cabbage")

http://food.com
I grew up with the great fortune of not only having a mother who was a good cook, but also a father who knew his way around a kitchen.  My dad and I have bonded many a time over meal prep in the kitchen.  He has taught me the art of presentation, and shared his gift of love through his food.  If that wasn't enough, I have also picked up a few of his recipes.  His red cabbage is one of my favorites.  It is simple, but delicious, and a perfect summer side dish for barbecues, burgers, and sandwiches.  I have been eating this cabbage since high school, I think (it's been so long, I can't remember).  He found the recipe in the Los Angeles Times years ago.  When he makes it, my sister and I both ask him to make extra batches for us so we can keep eating it throughout the week.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Serves 6-8 

Ingredients:
1/2 head red cabbage
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Directions:
1. Shred cabbage so it is irregular, with some fine shreds and some coarse shreds.  Set aside in a bowl.
2. Add oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, seasoned salt, pepper and onion powder.  Mix well.
3. Let stand several hours or overnight to allow flavors to mellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment