Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Building a Better Bowl

Oh She Glows Vegan Food Bowl
Photo via http://ohsheglows.com

Vegan "bowls" are my favorite comfort food - a mound of crisp greens topped with wholesome grains, steamed and raw veggies, and beans or legumes, all topped with a mouth watering, tangy dressing.  I love the warmth in my belly as I savor a meal in a bowl.  I find myself craving this food for the soul lately as I am trying to detox my diet and fill it with as much homemade goodness as possible.  A bowl is also a great macrobiotic meal, if you are trying to incorporate that way of eating into your lifestyle, and it is simple to throw together with whatever you have in the fridge, meaning there are endless possibilities to mix up a meal.

Here is my step-by-step guide to building your own vegan bowl:

Ingredients:
Greens (Sauteed/steamed kale or raw greens such as romaine and spinach work well.  Bok choy is also one of my favorites.)

Beans, lentils, or chickpeas

Whole grains (My go-to's are quinoa and millet.  Brown rice is also nice.)

Roasted or steamed veggies (Such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower)

Raw veggies (Such as cabbage, green onions, or pickled/fermented veggies)

Dressing or hummus (I like to make a homemade one with lemon juice and tahini, or ume plum vinegar and olive oil.)

Avocado slices

Chia, hemp or flax seeds

Directions:
1. Layer greens in a bowl.
2. Place a scoop of grains in the middle and scatter over the greens.  
3. Top with vegetables and beans/legumes.  
4. Place a few slices of avocado on top.
5. Drizzle with dressing to taste.
6. Sprinkle with seeds.

Click here to view some of the delicious food bowl recipes I have collected on Pinterest. 

Do you have a favorite bowl recipe?  Please share what's in your below in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment