Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, March 24, 2014

Cooking with Mayim's Vegan Table

VeegMama cookbook review of Mayim's Vegan Table
Mayim's Bialik's new cookbook, Mayim's Vegan Table, has been all over the vegan press since its release last month.  I had the great privilege of purchasing my copy at the launch party last month, and have been cooking from it ever since.  Mayim is one of the first vegans I met after making my transition.  I was overwhelmed and unsure about...everything!  We talked about food and kids, and she gave me some much needed encouragement.  This cookbook perfectly reflects her easy going style, family centered approach to cooking, and Jewish heritage.  She, (and contributing author, Dr. Jay Gordon, who is also her pediatrician), share no fuss, family recipes that look and taste delicious.  She also includes many Jewish recipes and treats for the many religious festivals. I love that I get Jewish and vegan recipes in one with this book!

She also includes four chapters at the beginning of the book that provide resources and answers to common questions for new or curious vegans.  She shares what she actually eats, what is stocked in her pantry, and why plant based eating really is best.

After recipe testing this book, from snacks, to entrees, and desserts, I am elated by all of the new meal options and recipes I have added to my repertoire.  The dishes are truly delicious and family pleasers.  I also served several of the recipes to non-vegans who equally raved about their taste and appearance.

To whet your appetite, here are a few of my favorite things in the book (so far...):

Snacks:
Brussels Sprouts Chips
Kale Chips
Artichoke Tapenade

Entrees:
Baked Ziti
Creamy Enchilada Casserole

Desserts:
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
Hamantaschen

I hope you will get yourself a copy, and if you do, please let me know what you think in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment