Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cooking with The Kind Diet




This book is what convinced me to go vegan.  I owe Alicia Silverstone a lot of gratitude.  Her book is compelling and for me, has been life changing.  It is not so much a cookbook for me (although it is loaded with wonderful recipes), as it is a plan for going vegan.  The book is divided into three parts.  In part one, she breaks down all of the reasons that a plant based diet is better for you and the planet, and supports it with tons of research.  She then introduces you to vegan foods and explains where you can find them.  In part two, she segments the change in lifestyle into "flirting," "going vegan" and "superhero."  She has meal plans and recipes for each segment and talks you through how to make changes in your life to adapt to each segment.  This was really helpful during my transition.  I literally photocopied sections of the book and took them grocery shopping with me when I was becoming vegan!  She addresses entertaining, eating away from home and traveling.

Part three is all about recipes - vegan and superhero.  Here are some of my favorites:
  • Moroccan Couscous with Saffron
  • Pecan Crusted Seitan
  • Seitan Piccata with White Wine and Capers
  • Caesar Salad - I LOVE this recipe
  • Toasted Nori Burritos
  • Quinoa with Basil and Pine Nuts
  • Baby Bok Choy Drizzled with Ume Vinaigrette - I crave this
  • Mochi Waffles
As I said, this book is more than a cookbook to me, but a reference guide and lifestyle plan.  As I write this post, I am reminded of all the great info packed in it that I should re-read.  If you are considering a vegan lifestyle, I highly recommend this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment