Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, January 18, 2013

My Vegan Bookshelf

I am an insatiable reader.  I love, love, LOVE to buy books.  My nightstand has no fewer than a line of six that I am currently reading.  I have a basket next to the nightstand with another 10-12 to read.  My closet shelf has another line waiting to be read.  Then, there's my GoodReads list and Amazon Wish List.  With so much to read, I thought I would share some of my favorite reads (or to-be reads) on my vegan/food bookshelf today...and don't even get me started on cookbooks (that's a whole other post - and shelf!)


The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebees, Farm Fields and The Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan

Undercover and food?  I am in!  This journalist does some investigative reporting into not just our food in the U.S., but our priorities.

Main Street Vegan: Everything You Need to Know to Eat Healthfully and Live Compassionately in the Real World by Victoria Moran

I love a good book about going vegan and this one is getting rave reviews from respected folks like VegNews, Huffington Post and Publishers Weekly.

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek and Steve Friedman

This is a book about marathon runner, Scott Jurek, and his amazing journey being vegan as a hard core athlete.  I think this read is going to be inspiring and a kick in the butt to go after my fitness goals.

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll

Maybe I am obsessed with fit vegans (!), but this another book about a man's change to vegan and road to fitness - five Ironman-distance triathlons, each on a different Hawaiian island, all completed in less than a week.  Wow!

The Veganist by Kelly Freston

Since she appeared on Oprah, I have been wanting to read this book.  The vegan community touts this as a must read for anyone thinking about going vegan.

Let me know if you read any of these.  I'd love to know what you think.


1 comment:

  1. Great Steph, I want to check them out! -Laura =)

    ReplyDelete