Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, January 21, 2013

My Favorite Desserts

Cookies and Cream Cupcake from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World


I love chocolate and am a big fan of desserts in general!  Going vegan was a little daunting at first when it came to my sweet tooth.  No milk?  No eggs?  How was I going to get my sugar fix?  Not to worry.  The veeg community is full of wonderful recipes, companies and products that make sure we never have to sacrifice our love for dessert for the good of animals and the planet!

Most products have some kind of non-vegan version.  Check out Vegan Essentials and Spencer's Market for some yummy finds.  There are also great cookbooks available so that you can bake your own vegan goodies.  Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar are two must haves for your vegan baking shelf.  Still, there are times when you want something sweet and you don't want to make it yourself.  Here is my go-to list of favorite treats to satisfy my sugar craving.

Sprinkles Cupcakes - This Beverly Hills bakery is famous for starting the cupcakery craze.  Their vegan red velvet is the best I have ever had.

Rice Dream Mint Pies - This is the best ice cream sandwich hands down - vegan and not vegan.  Mint chip ice cream sandwiched between a gingerbread cookie coated with chocolate.  Pure heaven on earth.

Purely Decadent Ice Cream - This is my choice for non dairy vegan ice cream.  Mocha Almond is my favorite flavor, taking me back to my childhood runs to Baskin Robbins for a scoop of Jamoca Almond Fudge!

So Delicious Coconut Milk Mini Ice Cream Bars - This is my substitute for the Dove Bars I used to love.  These taste better to me, made with coconut milk.  I discovered them two years ago while vacationing in Hawaii (and eating my way through lots of coconut ice cream!).

Dark chocolate bars - Trader Joe's sells a 72% bar in a green box.  It is my favorite chocolate bar.  I have been getting in the habit lately of eating two squares with a cup of green tea each evening.

Uncle Eddie's Cookies - Whole Foods carries this line and Trader Joe's sells a knock off variety that tastes just as good (in the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Chip varieties).  They are the only store bought vegan cookies I get.

Luna Bars - The Chocolate Peppermint Stick, Smores, and Caramel Nut Brownie varieties are like eating a healthier candy bar.  It makes a quick, easy treat for a meal on the go or packed lunch.

Do you have a vegan sweet treat I should try?  Let me know if the comments section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment