Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, January 11, 2013

Setting the Course For Your Good Life

Lily Tomlin quote: Road to success is always under construction


The beginning of a new year is a great time to take stock of one's life, evaluate accomplishments from the previous year and set the course for the future.  For me, my path on "the good life" is always a work in progress.  I love the idea of any new project and I can't think of a better cause to throw myself into than my own joy and happiness.

I have been inundated with tools and resources during the past week to help me focus and set goals.  The positive messages are encouraging and motivating.  There is a definitely an energy towards change and renewal in the world right now, and it is easy to get swept up into it.  I challenge you to use these first few weeks of the year wisely and get in on the wave while you are feeling fresh and inspired.  Below are some of the tools I am using or have used in the past to chart my life path.  I share them with you in the hope that you find something that resonates with you and helps you as you pave your good life.


Stephanie Dreyer vision boardVision Board: I made these boards about 3 years ago and it is definitely time for an update!  I look at them every day.  They inspire and motivate, but the process of doing them gives me pause to think about what I really want and envision for myself and my life.









Firework: I recently did this "worksheet" from Stella Santana's blog (get it... fire - work) to map out what I am grateful for, what I want, and what I need to do to get it.  It doesn't get much clearer than that...and hopefully, it will ignite your fire.

Simple Abundance: I reopened this book on January 1st.  It's a day book of notes and guidance for living the good life.  I bought this book in my 20's and never got through it.  I don't think I was ready for it.  Funny though, it has sat on my bathroom sink, greeting me every morning for the last 6 years.  I think I am finally ready.  I have been starting each morning with a reading.  It is something I look forward to every day and starts my day off on the right course.

The Happiness Project: I read this book by Gretchen Rubin over the summer with my book club.  It struck a chord and I created my own happiness worksheet.  I have stayed pretty true in the past six months too.  I highly recommend you read this.  It's perfect for the new year.  My resolution this month is "Leisure" (make more down time) and I have three "tasks" that I aim to do every day.  I really love this project.

The Artist's Way: This is an excellent tool for all you creatives out there.  Julia Cameron's book is wonderful.  I read it a few years ago, but I still retain some of the "work" I did in it, like the creative "dates" with myself and journaling.  I need to re-reread this.

Here are two more books that I just picked up in the spirit of renewal and am anxious to break open:

Organizing From the Inside Out by Julie Morganstern - I recently have the urge to purge all the excess in my life to clear my space (and my head) of unneeded clutter.  My pantry and kitchen drawers are reaping the benefits and can't wait to see what else I can organize.  Disclaimer: I am an organizer-aholic!  This book excites me.

Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte - I heard Danielle speak at a Hay House You Can Do It conference last March and was enlightened.  Her book is "a soulful and practical guide to creating success on your own terms."  I am looking forward to this one.

And don't forget to get out those gratitude journals.  I am writing down 5 things I am grateful for every night before I go to bed.

Get going on your good life.  See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment