Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, February 25, 2013

Better Than Chips



I don't think I could live without chips and salsa.  It is hands down my #1 favorite snack.  And although the salsa is fairly healthy, I have to keep myself in check with the fried tortilla chips or I could end up eating a whole bowl all by myself.  So, instead of chips, I try to change up my snack craving for crunch, salt, and tang with the some of the following instead.

Sliced cucumbers with Tajin and lime juice - Tajin is a Mexican seasoning that combines perfectly with the lime juice and cukes in this snack.  You can find it at a Mexican grocery store or your local Target.  I like to use the organic persian cucumbers from Trader Joe's, slice them thin, squeeze the whole juice of a lime on them, sprinkle with Tajin and toss to combine.  There is no guilt with this snack and it is oh so very good.

Baby carrots with sea salt and lemon juice - Toss the baby carrots with the juice of half a lemon (or more if you'd like) and sprinkle with a tad of sea salt.  I have been eating this snack since I was a teenager.

Celery with balsamic vinegar and olive oil - My Italian mama taught me this recipe.  It is so simple but the combination of the vinegar and olive oil is so delish.  Just drizzle a little bit over your celery sticks.

Roasted seaweed snack - Trader Joe's sells packages of this product.  I can eat one all by myself in one sitting!

Smokehouse almonds - You can make your own or buy the ones on the shelf at your local grocery store.  These pack a lot of salt, so a little goes a long way!

Kale chips - You can make your own, but the ones from Pacific Northwest (available at Whole Foods) are my favorite.  Trader Joe's also sells a variety I like if you can find them.

Do you have a favorite chip alternative I can try?  Let me know if the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment