Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, May 10, 2013

My Thank You Letter To My Kids This Mother's Day


When I was a kid, I received gifts on Mother's Day from my mom (still do, actually).  One year, I remarked to her, "Mama, why do we get gifts on Mother's Day?  It's your holiday."  She smiled and told me, "I wouldn't be a mother without you, so I like to give you a gift to say thank you for the gift of motherhood you have given me."  That moment has stayed with me throughout the years.  This year, I had an idea to write a letter and read it to them during our morning snuggle on Mother's Day.  I'd like to share it with you and hopefully, inspire you to remember the little things that make motherhood so grand, especially in the face of the day-to-day grind when motherhood can sometimes feel like a thankless job, despite all of our efforts.

Dear Kids,

Happy Mother's Day to me, but really Happy Mother's Day to you!  I wouldn't be a mama without you and for that I owe you everything.  My little munchkins, thank you for...


  • Teaching me to play, listen, and live in the moment
  • Reminding me what's important - like playing one more game of CandyLand (instead of getting dinner on the table right at 6pm)
  • Showing me how much fun it is to break the rules some times 
  • Re-reading old favorites and discovering new books together
  • Helping me realize, "I am not an octopus!"
  • Giving me reasons to play 
  • Providing me with opportunities to make a difference not only in your lives, but in those of other children in our community through the volunteer work and activities I get involved with because of you
  • Pushing me past my comfort zone to do things I have never done before (like riding an elephant, starting a petition, going to City Council...)
  • Reuniting me with my passion for writing children's literature
  • Inspiring me to do better - be better - and live better - for myself and our family...
But most of all, thank you for lighting my life with purpose and challenge.  You'll never know how you've changed me for good.  It is because of you that I truly live the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment