Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, May 6, 2013

The Good Parent



Being a parent has its challenges.  If you are a mother or father, you already know this.  "There is no such thing as perfect," my mother would always tell me.  As a mom, I sometimes feel I am going to die trying!  In the face of Mother's Day this week and reflecting upon my imperfect perfect life, I am struck by an aha moment that I just had to share: Being a good parent is not always going to feel good.  Guess what?  That means you are doing it right!

It has been a trying month for me in the land of motherhood.  I have turned to parenting books, prayer, and worrying to get me through it.  In the end, as I went through my mental "good mom" checklist, I discovered that I am checking the boxes to creating "happy, healthy, and safe" children (my husband's mission statement for our job as parents).  Although it doesn't always feel good, I know that I am doing good by my children in helping them through whatever it is they need.  I may not be handling everything perfectly, but they don't know that!  But I am there.  I show up no matter what they throw at me.  And I love them - no matter what they throw at me!

Here's a great article on "the perfect parent."  It brought me comfort as I struggled with my mommy issues this month.  If you are a parent, I hope it does the same for you.  Click here to read it.


1 comment:

  1. Steph - check out this article too, which I so very much appreciated on the topic of parenting!
    http://www.stevewiens.com/2013/03/12/to-parents-of-small-children-let-me-be-the-one-who-says-it-out-loud/

    ReplyDelete