Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Breaking the Fast 2013!

Veegmama's vegan menu for break the fast
Photo courtesy of foodarama.com

It is a Jewish custom to fast on Yom Kippur in atonement for our sins, ending in a festive feast at sundown.  It has been tradition in my family for years to break the fast at my mother-in-law's - deli style - with sandwich platters and deli salads, along with potluck sides and desserts.  For the last couple of years, I have taken over the tradition, and have kept with the "deli" theme.  It is simple and easy to accommodate with potluck items.  Here is what I have planned for this year's spread.

Sandwich platters
  • Field Roast grain meats (I love their mushroom and sun-dried tomato varieties) and Tofurkey slices
  • Vegan mozzarella (I am a fan of the one at Trader Joe's)
  • Bagels and various breads
  • Vegan cream cheese, deli mustard, Vegannaise, hummus 
  • Veggies: lettuce, capers, red onion, tomatoes, pickle slices
  • I will also do a meat and cheese platter for my non vegan guests

Salads
  • My new favorite pasta salad - Click here for the recipe.
  • My Greek salad (without the tabbouleh or falafel) - Click here for the recipe.
  • Caesar salad - Alicia Silverstone's Kind Life recipe is my favorite.  Click here for the recipe.

Sides
  • Assorted chips
  • Kosher pickles
  • Olives and pepperoncinis

Desserts
  • Vegan black and white cookies - These are a Jewish deli classic and a family favorite.  Click here for the recipe.  
  • Vegan chocolate chip cookies - Best recipe EVER.  Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar is my favorite vegan cookie cookbook.  Click here for the recipe.
  • Beach cookies - Chloe Coscarelli has a hit with these dessert "bars."  Click here for the recipe.
  • Fresh fruit platter
Whether you are fasting or not, I hope this spread inspires you to feast with family and usher in lots of good this coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment