Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What Will You Do Today?


The 911day.org pledge from VeegMama

I remember exactly where I was on September 11th, 2001 when news of the Twin Towers crashing down reached me.  I was stunned, as most of us were, paralyzed in fear.  I drove home in a trance, desperate to get home to my husband.  The next few hours felt never-ending, watching and waiting, not knowing what to do.

For me - a do-er - I experienced great angst in feeling helpless to those in New York who were in such dire need.  What could I do for those families in mourning?  How could I help those who were in pain?  A few years ago, my husband and his advertising agency were part of a campaign to "do something" on 9/11.  911day.org is an online community of people who pledge to do something on 9/11.  I think it is brilliant.  Do what you want - plant a garden, visit your grandmother, volunteer in a soup kitchen.  But do something - and remember.

This year, I encourage all of us to do something and remember the lives forever altered on 9/11 - the heroes who gave their lives to save others, the innocent victims taken without warning and their families who continued on without them, and the everyday heroes today who continue to fight for our safety and security.

Today, I will volunteer my time with a group of 7 year-old Girl Scouts and inspire them to be the best selves that they can be, because I truly believe our children hold the future to a brighter tomorrow.  What will you do?

The 911day.org pledge from VeegMama

No comments:

Post a Comment