Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, October 25, 2013

Meet Award Winning Author, Sheri Fink


Sheri Fink's book collection

I met Sheri Fink at a children's writing conference this past summer.  She instantly struck me as someone living and breathing the "good" life.  I connected strongly with the inspirational themes of her books, identifying my own writing mission with that of hers to inspire self esteem in children.  Her beautiful books and heartfelt stories are winning tons of awards and accolades.  I am truly grateful for the opportunity to interview her for all of you, especially in between her busy schedule as she launches her next book, The Little Seahorse (coming March 2014).

VM: Please tell us a little bit about the whimsical world of Sheri Fink and the beautiful books you write.  
SF: I write books that inspire and delight kids while planting seeds of self-esteem that can have lifelong benefit. Everything I do for The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink children's brand aligns with that mission, including the upcoming stage version of The Little Rose. 

VM: I love how your books all focus on themes of self-esteem, acceptance, and confidence.  What inspires you to write your books?  Why are these themes so central in your books?
SF: I'm inspired by my own life experiences. I focus on the messages that I most wish I had received and internalized as a child. If we plant the seeds of self-esteem early, everyone wins. I want kids to know how precious they are and to really go for it in life. That requires healthy self-esteem and encouragement. I hope that my books provide that for kids worldwide. 

VM: You had a successful corporate job before you you wrote your books.  What made you decide to leave and pursue children's literature?
SF: When I left my corporate career in 2010, I didn't know that I would be writing children's books. I just knew that I needed to find something new that I felt passionate about doing. I created the space by leaving the relative comfort and security of my corporate job and then a few months later, I was inspired to pull a story out of a drawer. The story was The Little Rose and that bold choice completely changed my life.

VM: What suggestions do you have for anyone wanting to pursue a dream that means leaving behind a successful career in a different field?
SF: Be brave and go for it! Create an exit strategy so you can leave the current career with dignity and grace. Save up as much money as you can and take extraordinary care of yourself in the transition process. It's not easy, but it's so rewarding and worth it. 

VM: Your books are very successful and are winning lots of awards.  Do you have any tips for writers?
SF: My best tip is to write completely from the heart. That's what resonates so strongly with readers. Don't write to trends, write what you feel passionate about and chances are it will touch the hearts of others as well. 

VM: What trends do you see today in children's publishing?
SF: In general I see a greater acceptance of independently published books. There are a number of authors in the children's publishing space who are doing well and changing the perception of "self-published" books. Even the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) had panels discussing how to independently publish at their annual LA conference this year. That's really exciting to see because the readers don't care who publishes a book, they just want to read good books. :)

VM: Can you share your top 3 favorite children's books?
SF: 1. Watership Down by Richard Adams
2. Leo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove (a pioneer in independent publishing)
3. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

VM: What are you reading now?
SF: I'm just starting to reread Watership Down and I love it! I'm also rereading The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. 

VM: I am on a quest to live the "good" life in all aspects of the word.  What does the "good" life represent/mean to you?
SF: Here are the ingredients of the "good" life for me:
 - Beautiful inspiration and creative expression
 - Authenticity and deep connection
 - Passionate love, joy, laughter, and celebration
 - Fitness, well-being, and extraordinary self-care
 - Fun, travel, and adventure (delicious experiences that tickle your soul) 
 - Sharing amazing experiences with people I love (friends, family, and Fans)
 - Making a HUGE positive difference in the world while experiencing lifestyle freedom and financial serenity. 

VM: Can you share your favorite quote?
SF: "The person who believes it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Chinese Proverb 

Thank you, Sheri!  To learn more about Sheri, please read below.

Headshot of children's author, Sheri FinkSheri Fink is a #1 best-selling, award-winning children’s author, creator of “The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink” children’s brand, and an international speaker. Sheri writes books that inspire and delight children while planting seeds of self-esteem. Her first children’s book, The Little Rose, was a #1 best-seller on Amazon for over 60 weeks, became the #1 top-rated e-book on Amazon, and received a gold medal in the 2012 Readers Favorite International Book Awards. Her subsequent books have all been #1 best-sellers. Her children’s book series received the Gold Mom’s Choice Award for excellence in family friendly entertainment. Sheri was selected by CBS Los Angeles as one of the top 3 authors in her local area, a distinction she shares with Dean Koontz. Sheri was awarded with the Gold Medal by the Readers Favorite International Book Awards for The Little Gnome and Exploring the Garden with the Little Rose. Sheri's upcoming book, The Little Seahorse, is set to debut in March 2014 and became a #1 Best-seller on Amazon 6 months prior to release. 

Fans can connect with her online: 

No comments:

Post a Comment