Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Skin Care for Pre-teens

Skin care products for preteens

My 7 and 10 year-old girls are far from teenagers (although, I have a feeling it will be here faster than I know it).  However, I have noticed a random pimple here and there on their faces.  My kids don't drink dairy milk, and consume a decent amount of fruits and veggies - two major dietary pros to keeping skin clear of acne.  Given the occasional breakouts and other gradual hormonal changes I have been seeing in them, I thought maybe it was time to introduce my girls to a very simple skin care regimen that can grow with them.  It's never too early to start good skin care, right?!!  I contacted my favorite all natural skincare companies that I use on myself and got information about using their products on children.  Here's what they told me:

Anne Marie Gianni Skincare

"Since they are so young, we suggest to just keep it simple.  If they have normal/combination skin, have them wash their face morning and night with our Aloe-Herb Cleanser. If they need some extra hydration, they may follow the cleanser with our Herbal Facial Oil for Normal/Combination Skin.

If their skin is oily, have them wash their face morning and night using our Citrus Mint Cleanser and follow that with our Herbal Facial Oil for Oily/Acne Prone Skin.

For their occasional breakouts they can use our Purifying Mud Mask as a spot treatment."

The Yes To Brand
"Our Yes To Tomatoes product line is formulated for oily/combination skin types. The benefits of the product are that they encourage a balanced, clearer complexion, absorbs excess surface oils, and adds moisture to dry areas without clogging pores.  I would recommend the following products:

Yes to Tomatoes Daily Blemish Clearing Facial Towelettes:  These facial can essentially be used anytime.  That’s the beauty of the towelettes (and why they are a topseller!). They are great as a quick way to cleanse, exfoliate and remove dirt.  The can also serve as a first cleanse before the scrub.  They are also great for on-the-go (i.e. after a workout, after a long day at work/school as a quick refresh). 

Yes to Tomatoes Daily Balancing Moisturizer

Yes to Tomatoes Daily Pore Scrub: MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE:  Contains Salicylic Acid, and is a "scrub" with mango seeds and bamboo to provide exfoliation. 

Our products are 95+% natural, and our baby line is 100% natural, but would suggest you do a patch test to ensure no issues or sensitivity."


Suki Skincare

All of our products are 100% pure & synthetic free, & we think they’re great for kids…even gentle enough for babies! 

A really simple routine would be:
-cleanse with the sensitive cleansing bar,
-moisturize with the balancing day lotion
-try the transformative cleansing clay as a spot treatment for any breakouts (it can be left on overnight for stubborn spots). 

In my research, I also discovered that Dermalogica offers a teen kit called
Clean Start.  I don't know much about this company, but will consider them in the mix too.  For now, I am focusing on a simple one-step cleanser with spot scrubs for their occasional breakouts.  If you have pre-teens or teens, I would love to hear what your kids use.  Please share in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment