Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, November 25, 2013

A Vegan Dilemma: What To Do With Those Old Leather Jackets and Bags?

VeegMama Discards Her Old Leather Jackets

When I first became vegan, I made a decision to keep my collection of leather handbags, shoes, and jackets, but only purchase animal free products in the future.  A big endorser of the motto: Reduce, Reuse, Recyle, I had a problem with giving away these things that were in perfect condition.  

Now, almost 4 years into my vegan journey, I realize that except for a pair of Prada shoes I bought when I went to Italy 10 years ago, I have never used these things since going vegan.  Truth is, I can't bring myself to wear one of my old leather or suede jackets, much preferring to wear my cool vegan leather moto jacket I got last winter.  As for handbags, I have a new collection of vegan go-to arm candy and would never choose a leather option from my closet now.  I realize I have no need for those old style pieces and could never feel good about using them.  It contradicts what I live and create every day.

So, it's time to say goodbye to the animal clutter in my closet.  But, what to do with it?  Do I donate it to others to use, when I promote an animal cruelty free lifestyle?  Do I really want someone else to use it? Do I sell it?  Is it wrong to profit off of the cruelty of an animal just because I don't want it anymore?  

What to do?  Donate…sell…trash?  Thoughts?  I would love to hear them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment