Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, December 30, 2013

Hoppin' John Salad

PCRM's recipe for Hoppin' John Salad

Black eyed peas are thought to bring good luck and prosperity in the new year, and are traditionally served on New Year's Eve in the southern U.S.  

This recipe from Physicians for Responsible Medicine is one of my favorites, and was a go-to recipe during my first few weeks transitioning to a vegan lifestyle.  I hope you enjoy it as much as me.

Hopping John Salad

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, or 1 15-ounce can, drained (I usually cook up a batch and freeze in 1 cup portions so I can whip up this salad easily whenever I want)

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (Trader Joe's sells a pre-cooked, organic brown rice in their frozen section that makes prepping this even quicker.)

1/2 cup green onions, finely sliced

1 celery stalk, thinly sliced

1 tomato, diced

2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1-2 garlic cloves, crushed

Directions:
1. Combine black-eyed peas, rice, green onions, celery, tomato, and parsley in a mixing bowl.

2. In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, salt, and garlic and pour over the salad.

3. Toss gently.  Chill 1 to 2 hours, if time permits.



No comments:

Post a Comment