Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Secret Ingredient #2: Nutritional Yeast

VeegMama shares one of her secret ingredients: nutritional yeast


If you have been reading VeegMama for a while, you know that I am all about sharing the good stuff.  When I find something good, I want to share the news and tell the whole world!  I shared my first secret ingredient (apple cider vinegar) last summer after reaping several benefits from daily use.  Today, I am sharing another secret ingredient: nutritional yeast.

My friends tease me about how much I love this stuff (I buy it in bulk at Whole Foods). Nutritional yeast is the deactivated from of a primary yeast grown on a mixture of molasses and cane sugar.  It is gluten-free, and is a beneficial form of yeast, unlike the various other types of harmful ones.  I call this one of my secret ingredients because it contains the perfect the combination of amino acids (eighteen) and B vitamins, and contains a high source of fiber (5 grams per ounce).  If that weren't enough, it contains fifteen key minerals, including zinc, selenium, magnesium, manganese and copper.  It adds a cheesy, salty taste to food, eliminating the need for salt and cheese (goodbye sodium and dairy). Three tablespoons supply nine grams of complete protein, so it's a great way to increase your protein content.  It combines well with most foods.  I sprinkle it on salads, whisk it in dressings, and sprinkle it on popcorn.  It is a wonderful hair, health and beauty food.  I encourage you to start experimenting with it in your food!

Click here for a recipe for Dharma Kale Salad to get your started from Kimberly Snyder, author of The Beauty Detox Solution.    

No comments:

Post a Comment