Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, February 20, 2014

What The Veg: Brussels Sprouts



Brussels sprouts have come a long way since I was kid - when I had to eat them boiled (yuck!).  These days, I am a huge fan, continually delighted by all of the delicious preparations I am seeing on restaurant menus and in cookbook recipes.  Here are some of my favorite ways to serve up Brussels sprouts.



VeegMama's recipes for Brussels Sprouts



Dress them - These green beauties make an easy and delicious salad: Slice them up, drizzle on some apple cider vinegar, and toss in some walnuts.  I also love to slice them, toss with a lemon vinaigrette, some chopped pistachios, and diced avocado.  I love this recipe from Whole Living.


Roast them - Whisk together a maple marinade, pour over the Brussels and roast at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes for a sweet and tangy veggie side dish.  Leslie Durso, one of my favorite food bloggers, has a yummy recipe here.


Saute them - I use this same preparation with spinach.  Try switching it up with Brussels sprouts instead.  Heat some vegetable broth or coconut oil in a pan with sliced garlic and shallots.  Cook until golden.  Slice Brussels in half (or buy shaved ones at Trader Joe's) and add to pan.  Saute until lightly toasted.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.





Skewer them - What a fun way to serve these little guys!  I can't wait to make them this way as an appetizer at my next party.  Click here for the recipe.

How do you like to eat your Brussels sprouts?  Please share in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment