Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Best Marshmallow Ever

Vegan marshmallows



Winter seems to be marshmallow season for me and my family.  Hot chocolate by the fire, s'mores fireside while camping, and warm, gooey baked treats, (think Rice Crispy bars), as we watch the rain trickle down outside.  With such marshmallow associations, winter would not be the same without them.  When I went vegan, I learned that marshmallows are not vegan.  It never occurred to me that my favorite winter treat would contain some sort of animal product.  

What's not vegan about a marshmallow, you ask?  Please allow me to enlighten you. Marshmallows contain gelatin.  Wikipedia defines gelatin as "a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), flavorless solid substance derived from collagen, (the main structural protein of the various connective tissues in animals), obtained from various animal by-products.  Yuck!  That just took out all of the fun of my marshmallow!  I was appalled, to say the least, when I discovered this fact, and went into a bit of mourning about all the animals who suffered for my s'mores indulgences.  

Then, I discovered Dandies, the best marshmallow ever.  Take that, KRAFT! 
Chicago Vegan Foods is the company behind Dandies marshmallows.  They are 100% vegan, gluten free, corn syrup free, non-GMO, and certified kosher.

Here's what they do have: tapioca syrup, cane sugar, tapioca starch, filtered water, carrageenan, soy protein, natural vanilla flavor.  

The result is a divinely delicious marshmallow that rivals KRAFT's Jet Puffed version any day of the week.  I am so grateful for this vegan product and want to spread the word so that vegan or non vegan, Dandies becomes the only marshmallow product people ever buy.  I bet most people don't even realize what is in their KRAFT marshmallow.  Now that you do, please help spread the word and make an animal-free choice the next time you are in need of a marshmallow.

Dandies are available online and in stores nationwide, including Whole Foods Market.  I hope you will check them out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment