Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Where to Eat: Mohawk Bend

I died and went to vegan heaven when I dined at Mohawk Bend in Echo Park.  My husband and I are always looking for delicious restaurants (we love food!) that can satisfy both of our palates.  He tends to feel that vegan labeled restaurants are too "granola," not "gourmet" enough, while I get tired of eating the quinoa and vegetables standard vegan dish on most restaurant menus these days.  We were delighted with the menu at Mohawk Bend where vegans and meat lovers can find many options for their gastro pleasure.  Here are the details:

Info: 2141 W. Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles; (213) 483-2337; mohawk.la

Setting: Kind of pub-ish feel with high ceilings and brick walls, an open kitchen and noisy central bar (Their cocktail menu is fantastic!).  It feels "happening" and cool.

Service: Very friendly and casual

Kids menu: Yes!

Dinner prices: Starters $4-$11; entrees $12-$14; desserts (yes, vegan desserts!) $7-$9

What we ordered: We started with the Hearts of Palm "Crabcakes" which were out of this world and then moved on to the Buffalo Style Cauliflower with vegan bleu cheese (that tasted like the real deal).

For entrees, I ordered the Avo & Chips (YUM-O!) while my husband opted for the Vegan Burger (much to my surprise).  He liked the burger, which he claimed wasn't your ordinary veeg patty (a good thing), made with black beans and brown rice, topped with avocado, tomato, lettuce and chipotle aioli.

We finished off our meal with "Happy Camper S'mores."  This was a huge highlight of the meal for me.   They served chocolate sauce, marshmallows and house baked graham crackers in a stone skillet, hot and ready for us to assemble.  Vegan smores!  Heaven!!!

What we're ordering next time: Our waiter told us we had to get the Roasted Brussel Sprouts at our next visit, and I'd love to try their Chop Salad.  Their flatbreads are some of their best dishes, we hear, so we're planning to order one of those next time - half with my choice and half with my hubby's selections.

They also serve lunch and brunch!  Please visit them and let me know what you think!!


Buffalo cauliflower from Mohawk Bend
Buffalo Cauliflower appetizer



Avocado and Chips at Mohawk Bend
Avo & Chips entree

No comments:

Post a Comment