Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, November 15, 2012

My 5 Favorite Snacks

I try not to do it, but I love a great snack.  By the time 10 o'clock rolls around, my morning green juice has left the building and I am ready to nosh.  Here's what I turn to when my tummy calls.

  1. Popcorn with nutritional yeast - BEST popcorn ever!  Homemade, air popped corn.  Add some olive oil and Earth balance, a sprinkle of sea salt and generous spoonfuls of nutritional yeast.  YUM-O!!!
  2. Roasted almonds - These are so easy to make and so healthy (in proportioned quantities!).  I got this recipe while champagne tasting at the Gloria Ferrer winery in Sonoma (they go fantastic with champagne!).  Lay out almonds on a cookie sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and cayenne pepper.  Mix together so the almonds get coated.  Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until they are nice and toasty.  
  3. Kale chips - See last week's post for a homemade recipe or pick up your favorite variety at Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Trader Joe's.  Pacific Northwest is my pick for store bought.
  4. Chips and salsa - I could live on chips and salsa.  I am serious.  I love to make homemade salsa fresca (chopped roma tomato, white onion, jalapeƱo, cilantro, salt and lime juice) and scoop it out of the bowl with chips.  My favorite store bought salsa is the Roasted Garlic Chipotle jarred salsa from Trader Joe's.  My favorite chip of the moment is the Quinoa and Black Bean, also at Trader Joe's.
  5. Hummus and veggies - I have to be careful on the serving size - 1 tablespoon of hummus simply is not enough (!), but this is a healthy and satisfying snack.  I love sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and sliced persian cucumbers for dippers.  The Edamame hummus at Trader Joe's is always stocked in my refrigerator.
What do you like to snack on?  Please share the snack goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment