Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Holiday Cookie Plate

Vegan cookies for the holidays
My holiday cookie plate


I would never have called myself a baker.  Up until a couple of months ago, I really disliked baking.  I was not good at it and nothing ever came out right.  I was okay with that because what I lacked in baking prowess, I more than made up for in cooking (if I do say so myself!).  Still, holiday cookie baking is annual tradition in my family, so I always rally for the occasion.  It is sometimes painful, but my mom, sis, grandma (and now kids) are there to help me along the way.

At this year's holiday cookie day, a miracle happened: I became a baker!  I finally hit my stride and my cookies came out beautifully.  My non vegan tasters agreed that you couldn't tell the difference with their butter laden counterparts.  Major success!  And this cookie success came after my pie favorite at Thanksgiving and cupcake treats for my uncle's birthday last month.  I cannot believe it, but...I can bake!

I think going vegan has had a lot to do with my newfound skills since I usually have to bring my own baked goods to holidays and parties if I want to have dessert...and if you know me, I love dessert! All the baking has led to practice and hence, improvement.  It has also made me more comfortable with the process and techniques that use to intimidate the heck out of me.  Whatever the reason, I am thrilled (and I think my family is too).  Here's a peek at what we baked up for our holiday cookie plate this year - all vegan!

Snowballs (aka Wedding Cookies) - These are the white beauties on the left.  These are a must each year, but instead of my mom's recipe, I used a vegan recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  My husband said they taste the same as my mom's!

Cinnamon Cream Cheese Puffs - Chocolate Covered Katie posted this recipe earlier in the month so I thought I'd give them a try.

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Another mainstay and these ones from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar do not disappoint.

Peanut Butter Pillows - I started making these two years ago (also from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and my family asks for them every year.

Chocolate Truffles - I used Chocolate Covered Katie's recipe for 5 minute truffles, but melted the chocolate on the stove top.  My girls and I rolled the truffles in red sugar crystal sprinkles, pecans, cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar.

Happy baking and eating to you this holiday season.  Please let me know if you have a favorite cookie recipe I should add to my plate!


No comments:

Post a Comment