Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Friday, April 4, 2014

5 Things I Didn't Expect From My Bikram Yoga Practice

I have always loved yoga, but only recently began practicing Bikram Yoga.  Also, known as hot yoga, Bikram Yoga is a Hatha Yoga practice that involves 26 postures in a specific sequence that works every part of the body, while providing the internal organs, veins, ligaments, and muscles everything needed for optimum health and function.

When I started Bikram Yoga last July, I expected increased flexibility and endurance, even a bit of weight loss.  Having practiced regular yoga in the past, I was no stranger to the benefits of yoga.  I didn't, however, expect the multitude of other "gifts" that my Bikram practice has given me.  Check these out:
  
1. Softer, clearer skin: As a vegan, I often get compliments on my skin.  It is one of the superpowers that come with a plant-based diet, but my skin seemed to kick itself up a notch once I started Bikram yoga.  

2. Smoother lips: I experience variances in dryness and chapped lips living by the beach.  It is a minor blip on my "things about my body I don't like" list.  I hate "peely" lips.  Lo and behold, I started noticing that my lips peeled less and were moister once I added in Bikram yoga into my fitness routine.

3. Silkier hair: Yes, apparently sweat helps build healthy hair!  Seriously, I have experienced shinier, silkier hair as a result of my practice.

4. Reduced cellulite: This makes sense given that Bikram Yoga releases toxins and wastes through the organs of elimination.  I just didn't expect it to be so dramatic or to happen so soon.  I notice it most on my legs, but have also seen an improvement in my tummy.

5. Increased energy: Honestly, I didn't think this was possible with my already supercharged status, but on the days that I practice Bikram yoga, I am ignited even further.  I think it may have something to do with the 15-20 minute meditation I do right before class, but I can't be sure.

What are you waiting for?  Get these five benefits for yourself and try out a Bikram Yoga class today.  It truly has been one of the best things I have done for my health and fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment