Be the change you wish to see in the world...

- Gandhi

Monday, May 20, 2013

Let's Grill!



I have been enjoying our warmer weather lately (at least here, in Southern California!).  On Sundays, you can find me basking in the sun on my new outdoor furniture, taking in some jacuzzi time, and of course, grilling it up.  I seem to be cooking up the same menu every time, but it's so easy and delicious, I can't help it.  It's so fun that it has become my go-to entertaining menu for family friends too.  Fire up the grill and try this simple menu the next time you are in the mood for some good grill!

Appetizers
Organic Corn Tortilla Chips and Roasted Garlic Chipotle Salsa - I buy this jarred variety from Trader Joes.  It is my favorite salsa.  

Guacamole - So simple and delish to make homemade: Mash the "meat" of two ripe organic Haas avocados in a bowl.  Squeeze in the juice of 1-2 limes (to taste) and stir in some fresh sea salt.  That's it!

Cucumbers and Tajin - I posted this recipe on my "Better than Chips" post.  Check it out here.

Main and Sides
Assorted Roasted Veggies with Chimichurri - My veggies of choice are portabello mushrooms, red, orange and yellow bell peppers and zucchini.  After washing (and slicing the zucchini and halving the peppers) the veggies, I drizzle with olive oil, freshly cracked pepper and sea salt.  I use my hands to massage the oil and seasonings into the veggies.

For the chimichurri, finely chop 1 bunch of parsley and 4 cloves of garlic.  Squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon and a sprinkling of freshly ground sea salt.  Stir in olive oil until a thin layer covers the parsley.

"Mexican" Caesar Salad - This salad is a cinch with pre-prepared ingredients: Combine a bag of romaine chopped lettuce, a can of black beans (rinsed), a can of corn (drained), a handful of grape tomatoes (sliced in half), a can of sliced olives (drained), two avocados (chopped), and a handful of pepitas in a bowl.  Drizzle in your favorite cilantro dressing.  Sometimes I use the Hummus dressing from Trader Joe's, which is also very tasty.

Grilled Corn - I prep the ears by rolling them in foil with a pat of Earth Balance butter, salt and pepper.

Have any menu suggestions to add?  I would love to hear them.  Please let me know in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment